Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day #24 - Remembering the early days of Gravitophobia...

http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org
That's right the fear of the bathroom scale is called Gravitophobia (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog). Who knew?
Still, I do think it's good to look back to the when I originally began working on myself in this particular way (the way that actually works:-). It used to be that I would avoid any confrontation with the scale for fear that it would be telling me my own worst secrets. I know what it's like to weigh myself, and know that I'm putting on pounds and understanding, to my great discomfort, that there is nothing I can do about it. 
Really, I had gotten to the point of giving away all my old "skinny" clothes. This was something I had never done before. That's right, I had never once done that in all the years of constant weight gain. Some of the jeans I gave away were older than my son! That move was me, simply giving up on ever having any control at all. I had resigned myself to a future of growing larger and larger, always buying the largest sizes to hide my body, and endlessly feeling a certain amount of shame at being unable to change what was clearly a huge problem in my life. 
My, how times have changed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment